Friday, October 12, 2018

boomwhackers!

this week i saw a post in laughing squid about boomwhackers. more specifically, it was a post about the students of THUD performing don't stop believin' on boomwhackers.

go ahead. i'll wait.





a lot of people are amazed because they did not know boomwhackers were even a thing.

i am amazed because i bought a couple of sets of boomwhackers for my classroom when they were a NEW thing and although i understood that they had this potential, performing with them like this takes a LOT of skill. have you ever seen a really good handbell choir? yeah, that's the basic principle.

and if you can't figure out what the black things are they keep putting on and off, those are endcaps.

a boomwhaker is an open pipe, and the endcap makes it a closed pipe, which drops the pitch an octave because effectively the vibrating air column is now twice the length. physics is fun.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always show me the coolest stuff.

Mad Jack said...

Okay, I'm impressed. I've never seen boomwhackers before, never even heard of them, but the boomwhacker band is excellent. And you're right, it's essentially a hand bell choir variant.

The people I know would last about 30 seconds before they began playing this odd instrument on each others' heads, which I'm sure has been done before and am equally certain is not the original intent of the manufacturer. Be that as it may, I enjoyed the post.

I haven't been by in a while, and I hope you're doing well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails