Thursday, May 11, 2006

sprung

today i woke up at home, in my own bed. this is no small thing. the hospital bed was uncomfortable and confining and there was no air flow and too much light. my room at home is the kind of green that when i first saw it, i thought "this will have to be painted over." but then the first morning i woke up in there i thought: "i am never painting over this"; it made me so happy to wake up in there on a sunny morning. my bed is in the window nook. i slept there all night in beautiful, blessed darkness, with only the sound of the peepers to serenade me. there were crisp fresh sheets and once i navigated the attendant hazards (very emotional day; unsteady on my feet. somewhat dizzy, more than usual) i crawled in there and spread out like a liquid. it was lovely.

i woke in the morning just in time to go see dr. n, and afterward i stopped at city market where i purchased a delightful if not entirely nutritious lunch of a green & black's 70% dark chocolate bar and a bottle of very excellent chocolate milk from the strafford organic creamery.

then i went to see bert, and after that went home to get my road bike and get suited up for a ride. for no particularly good reason, i decided to ride from jonesville up to rumblestrip's house and back, and from there i got into cambridge in just enough time to time the GMBC time trial up there. kevin was a little put out that i hadn't responded to his email, but "hey, it's my first day out of the hospital" seemed to be a good enough excuse.

last night for the first time in a long time i was able to light my own candle at evening prayer, and the Very Dear and Loyal rumblestrip was present with me and stayed until i was ready for bed.

thank you to all of you who have lit candles for me during my absence, and deanne, i very much appreciate your continuing to do so. it was such a joyful thing to go to choir practice that when i got there i picked skipper right up off the ground and wouldn't put her down.

we had a little impromptu ceremony in which they cut off my hospital bracelets.

it is good to laugh again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your first day at home was a good one!! And of course I will continue to light candles with you. It's a crappy soggy day here in MI, way too cold for May (though we had it coming as most of April was overly dry & sunny). I have been feeling desperately sun-deprived the last few days as a result. But reading this post felt better than an hour of noonday sun.
no words to describe my joy for you today. so just welcome home!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails