Friday, August 07, 2020

sedges: third problem (incomplete)



Wow.


It’s been a wild couple of weeks. “Over the next three weeks try [to] find one species in each of the 10 sections…” he said. 

“Oh, sure”, i said. “This will be easy. Like a scavenger hunt and with three weeks to work in!” So apparently learning sedges is a lifetime project. I’m ok with that.




I took another little trip over to Wolf Run conservation area on the left is a thing I am practically certain is  group phacocystis, C. gynandra. Go me!





Which brings us to this right hand page:


Habitat: along the old woods road




I’m going to say this is group lupulinae,

C, intumescens



And turning the page?



I was very excited about the thing on the left, but on close inspection every single one of its little possibly-achenes had six sepals and each one had a hole in it where something had gone in or out. Every one of them was empty. None of that matched sedges that i had in the guides.


On the right side, growing in a boggy area pondside, was this other thing.



perigynia
achene


Given its size, habitat, and pergynia shape, i’m going with group vesicariae, C. baileyi



And turning the page in my notes:




I went to gillett pnd, on the richmond end and spent a happy afternoon on the northern shore by the dam.


On the left, growing in the dried up margin of the pond is this thing:


spikelet

achene



I am calling this an eleocharis obtusa.


And then on the right i have a photos of the achene and the barbs on the leaf:






I’m calling it group lupulinae, C. lupulina.


Ok, last page of the notes:












 I’m going to say this is group multiflorae, C. Vulpinoidea.



























No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails