Sunday, November 02, 2014

election worker

last night at eight-fifteen, i was in my pajamas, in bed, and just rolling over to turn out the light.

this is not unusual. i am often in bed before eight.

and then the phone rang.

now, most people who know me know better than to call me after six in the afternoon, because i get cranky.

if i have to answer the phone after eight, i am downright HOSTILE.

so i picked it up and i said "GOOD GOD, WHAT??"
and the voice on the other end said "hello, is (my name) available to come to the phone?"
"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?"
"my name is (nondescript girl's name from the 80's) and i'm with the vermont democratic party"

i interrupted her to go on a tirade about how their election day prospects tuesday won't brighten by calling likely democratic voters at home at bedtime and really pissing them off, but she hung up on me about two sentences in.

since it's going to be a tight election, i imagine i'll be getting more calls.

this might could be fun.

3 comments:

Cookie said...

When I grow up, I want to be like you. :)

Dumpsterkitty said...

I had the pleasure of doing the same a week ago. Same number had been calling at all hours of the day & night and not leaving a message. I honestly thought I had a stalker because it was a local number.

I did finally answer when they called at 8:45 at night. I just had to know who it was. Ripped that child a new one. Told her flat out I was now NOT going to vote for her candidate.

Funny part is...he's not even going to be on my ballot. I happen to live in a gerrymandered district..I'm at the tippy south end of a district 160-odd miles from its beginning near Ithaca, NY. I didn't realize it at the time but the callers district starts about 10 miles east of here.

Haven't heard from my actual candidates, of course. I don't even know who is running against the incumbent. Being as they're all up in Ithaca with lots of people to talk to they have no reason to even talk to the people down in this skinny tail of the dragon.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

We got one of those calls last night, which required A. to get out of his chair by the fire to answer the phone. A. informed the recorded voice of our state representative that if he (A.) could get ahold of him (the representative) to punch him in the face for calling him at his home on a Sunday night, he would.

A little more of a physical reaction than yours, but same idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails